To say the least AIDS is an uncomfortable topic…unforuntately there is still no cure and I think it is time we start-up a re-awareness campaign…YOU CAN STILL GET IT!! – NEXTAID is an amazing organization leading the way in awareness, education, and finding a cure in the most affected continent on the planet: AFRICA – Here are some alarming statistics:
• Every 15 seconds, an African child loses a parent to AIDS.
• AIDS and has already caused an estimated 25 million deaths – 5,500 daily.
• There are over 15 million children orphaned by AIDS around the world -12 million in Sub-Saharan Africa alone.
• Fewer than 10% of the 15 million African children orphaned by AIDS are receiving any kind of public support.
• 44.4 million children in sub-Saharan Africa do not attend primary school.
• Impoverished and often without support to educate and protect themselves, orphans and vulnerable children face increased risk of HIV infection.
• There are approximately 7,400 new infections daily.
• More than 1,000 children under 15 years of age are infected with HIV every day.
• In sub-Saharan Africa young women aged 15-24 are 3 times more likely to be infected than their male counterparts.
• One third of the entire population of South Africa is HIV positive.
• “Child-Headed Household” is an official population category in South Africa. Young girls have to prostitute themselves to provide for their siblings.
• 9.2 million children died in 2007 before they reached their fifth birthday – 4.5 million in Sub-Saharan Africa .
• One quarter of children under the age of 5 are underweight – 148 million in developing countries.
• Of the estimated 536,000 maternal deaths worldwide in 2005, about half of the maternal deaths (265,000) occurred in sub-Saharan Africa.
Check out their mission:
“NextAid’s mission is to improve the lives of children, youth, and women in Africa by promoting and implementing sustainable solutions. NextAid raises awareness for, and partners with, community-based projects and grassroots organizations in Africa and believes that an integrated approach is the best formula for establishing real and lasting change. Through music events and public education initiatives, NextAid provides empowering opportunities for concerned individuals to make a difference.”
All images and information courtesy of NextAid